– Karagozoglu S. Nursing students level of autonomy: a study from turkey. Nurs Edc Tod. 2009; 29: 176-187.
– Abedini S, Abedini S, Aghamolaei T, Jome zadeh A, Kamjoo A. [Clinical education problems from the viewpoint of nursing and midwifery students in Hormozgan university of medical sciences]. J Hormozgan Med. 2008; 12(4): 249-253. (Persian)
– Dunn SV, Hansford B. Undergraduate nursing students’ perceptions of their clinical learning environment. J Adv Nurs. 1997; 25(6): 1299-1306.
– Hadizade Talasaz F, Firuzi M, Shamaeian Razavi N. [Evaluating the clinical education status from the viewpoint of nursing and midwifery students in Gonabad university of medical sciences]. Iran J Med Edu. 2005; 5(1): 70-78. (Persian)
– Cassimie R, Cur M, Bhengu MP. Student nurses’ perceptions of their contact time with stakeholders in their clinical instruction. J Curationis. 2006; 29(4): 47-53.
– Heshmati Nabavi F, Vanaki Z, Mohammadi E. [Barriers to forming and implementing academic service partnership in nursing; A qualitative study]. JNR. 2011; 5(17): 32-46. (Persian)
– Melender HL, Jonesh E, Hilli Y. Quality of clinical education-Comparison of experiences of undergraduate student nurses in Finland and Sweden. Nurs Edu in Prac. 2013; 4(13): 256-26. 31 – Nielsen AE, Nooneh J, Voss H, Mathews LR. Preparing nursing students for the future: An innovative approach to clinical education. Nurs Edu in Prac. 2013; 4(13): 301-309.
Assessment of the condition of clinical education from the viewpoints of undergraduate nursing students: presentation of problem-oriented stretagies
Shirazi M (MSc.) – Alhani F (Ph.D) – Akbari L (MSc.) – Samiei Sibani F (MSc.) – Babaei M (MSc.) – Heidari F (MSc.).
Introduction: Assessing nursing students’ viewpoints about clinical education leads to the identification of problems and improvement of the quality of clinical education. This study was conducted to assess the condition of clinical education from the viewpoints of undergraduate nursing students and present problem-oriented stretagies.
Method: In this descriptive- analytical study, 140 nursing students who were studying in various semesters of the nursing program were selected using classified random sampling method. A researcher-made questionnaire was used for data gathering. The dada was analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics.
Results: The most important problems in clinical education in the areas of management, education, environment, motivation, and personnel were reported respectively as follow: disregarding the students’ training time in their working records, student’s lack of participation in decision-making for planning of clinical placaments, disregarding the welfare facilities such as considering a proper room for the nursing students in hospitals, and lack of an appropriate position in hospital departments and staffs’ insufficient cooperation with students. Among the listed problem, the most important clinical education problem was disregarding the welfare facilities such as considering a proper room for the nursing students in hospitals.
Conclusion: Clinical education in nursing requires some programes to increase nursing students, instructors and staffs’ participation in planning for clinical training and also participation between faculty members and clinical centers to provide enough welfare facilities for nursing students in clinical environments. Moreover, considering clinical placement courses in their working records can motivate nursing students and create positive attitudes to their future career.
Key words: clinical education, undergraduate nursing students, strategies